All the Queen’s Men –
A modern translation of “All the King's Men,” which was first written by Robert Penn Warren in 1947 and is considered one of the most famous and widely read works in American literature and is as relevant today as it was fifty-one years ago.
The central character of Willie Stark is sometimes thought to have been partially inspired by the life of Huey P. Long, "the Kingfish", former governor of Louisiana and that state's U.S. senator in the mid-1930s. Willie Stark undergoes a radical transformation from an idealistic and weak gubernatorial candidate into a charismatic and extraordinarily powerful governor. In achieving this office Stark comes to embrace various forms of corruption and builds an enormous political machine based on patronage and intimidation. His Machivaellian approach to politics earns him many enemies in the state legislature, but does not detract from his popular appeal among many of his constituents, who respond with enthusiasm to his fiery populist manner.
Doesn't the frenzy around Sarah Palin remind you of Willie Stark?
__________________________________
Sarah Palin: I don't need money. People gives me things because they believe in me.
[Zucker sends Matthews to the backwaters of the state to learn about political upstart Sarah Palin]
Anderson Matthews: What's so special about her?
Les Zucker, Chairman of Cable Network BCN: They say she's an honest woman.
Sarah Palin: Now, shut up! Shut up, all of you! Now listen to me, you rednecks. Yeah, you're those core-value voters, you rednecks, and they fooled you a thousand times like they fooled me. But this time, I'm going to fool somebody. I'm going to stay in this race. I'm out for blood.
[to Sarah Palin]
Anderson Matthews: You throw money around like it was money.
[Sarah Palin to fellow 'rednecks' after surviving an ethics investigation by the state senate]
Sarah Palin They tried to ruin me, but they are ruined. They tried to ruin me because they didn't like what I have done. Do you like what I've done?
Sarah Palin There's something on everybody. Man is conceived in sin and born in corruption. He passes from the stink of the diaper to the stench of the shroud. There's ALWAYS something.
Sarah Palin I'm going to run. You can't stop me. I'm going to run even if I don't get a single vote!
Sarah Palin It could have been - whole world - Sarah Palin.
Anderson Matthews Wasilla is a place on the Moon. It isn't real. It doesn't exist. It's me pretending to live on what I earn. It's my mother trying to keep herself young and drinking herself old. It's you and Adam living in this house as though your father were still alive. It's an old man like the judge dreaming of the past.
Sarah Palin I'm the redneck they were gonna use to split the redneck vote. But I'm standing right here now on my hind legs! Even a dog can learn to do that. Are you standing on your hind legs? Have you learned to do that yet?
Sarah Palin Here it is, you rednecks! Nail up anybody who stands in your way! Nail up Joe
Harrison! Nail up McMurphy! And if they don't deliver, give me the hammer, and I'll do it myself!
Sarah Palin You wanna know what my platform is? Here it is. I'm gonna soak the oil boys and spread it out thin.
Judge Monte Stanton: Mike Wooten. As Attorney General of this state, it's my job to prosecute.
Sarah Palin Judge, you talk like Wooten was human. He isn't. He's a thing. You don't prosecute an adding machine if a spring goes busted and makes a mistake. You fix it. Well, I fixed him.
Sarah Palin Remember, it is not I who have won, but you. Your will is my strength, and your need is my justice, and I shall live in your right and your will. And if any man tries to stop me from fulfilling that right and that will, I'll break him. I'll break him with my bare hands, for I have the strength of many.
Sadie Burke: She’ll ditch everybody in the whole world, because that's what Sarah wants. Nobody in the world but her!
Sadie Burke: Be smart. Play square with her. You're gonna need people like us around.
Sarah Palin Are you sure?
[Sarah arrives at the capitol building as the impeachment is proceeding] Sarah Palin What's the score?
Tiny Duffy: They're lined up against you solid. They had a meeting.
Sarah Palin How do you know? Were you there?
Tiny Duffy: Me? What would I be doing there?
Sarah Palin: Selling me out
Sarah Palin: They fooled you 1,000 times, just like they fooled me. But this time, I'll fool somebody. I'll stay in this race. I'm on my own and out for blood. Listen to me, you rednecks! Lift up your eyes and look at God's blessed truth. This is the truth! You're a redneck. Nobody ever helped a redneck by a redneck himself. Listen to me, listen to me! They were going to use me to split the vote. But I'm standing here now on my hind legs. Even a dog can learn to do that. Are you standing on your hind legs? Have you learned that yet? Here it is, you rednecks! Nail up anybody who stands in your way. Nail up Joe Harrison! Nail up McMurphy! If they don't deliver, give me the hammer and I'll do it. I want his throat cut from ear to ear.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Palin - All the King's Men Redux 2008
Labels:
anti,
core-value voters,
corruption,
palin,
rednecks,
willie stark
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment